Wallerawang or ‘Wang’ as it is commonly referred to by locals is located approximately 14km northwest of Lithgow.
The township was previously supported by its own Power Station which closed some years ago, and now the many dams that were built to supply water to the facility enhance the local scenery.
The first school in Wallerawang opened in 1860 opposite the Old Wallerawang Power Station on Main Street. In 1882 the school was relocated closer to the township where it remained until 1995 when it was closed, sold and amazingly transformed into the widely popular Black Gold Motel.
It’s an easy walk from the Black Gold Motel into Wallerawang centre with its shops, takeaways, pubs and the Wallerawang Bowling Club.